My life: work, fun and then some...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Scotland - update with photos

So, that was my first trip to Scotland, and I have to admit, that even though it was bloody cold and windy, I really loved it there. Edinburgh is a gorgeous town, full of charming little streets, closes and paths. We arrived on Thursday evening, so this is how Edinburgh looks when it's dark.



Edinburgh by night, it was actually raining a bit.

It was only the next morning when I realised, how cool our hotel looked - a very old venue (or at least - it looked very old), pretty close to the town centre and all attractions.




Three Sisters a.k.a. Tailor's Hall Hotel. Very stylish.

The weather was almost perfect (sunny, but rather cold), so taking off early in the morning seemed like a good idea. Here is how Edinburgh looks during the day.




Lovely!


This used to be a flower market as well as the central square of Edinburgh.


Victoria Street - on the way to the castle.


After a short walk we saw this amazing, huge and beautiful castle. It was build in the Medieval Times and it's really, really impressive. Have a look.




Getting there...


...Closer...


...And here it is. Quite impressive!

The panoramic view from the hill was breathtaking, you could even see the snow in the mountains!

Edinburgh and the Highlands

The castle itself is really big and there is a few museums in there. One of them full of those rather unfriendly and not really talkative guys.




"Hello?"

After almost 2 hours we decided to re-charge and walked down to a local pub to enjoy some delicious Irish coffee. The Royal Mile takes you down the hill and soon we found a warm and friendly pub.




The Royal Mile

As the weather was really beautiful (except the fact that it was freezing), we decided to walk around the city and see more. And indeed, there was more to see.




Beautiful architecture along the Royal Mile


One of those medieval closes (tiny streets) in Edinburgh


The castle from another angle

To my great surprise, almost all pubs in Edinburgh that we walked by, were packed by 3:00PM. All right, it was St. Patrick's, but 3PM? I mean - we were on holiday, but I suppose, that most people work on Fridays? I guess, they really take St. Patrick's seriously, even though it's an Irish thing...




One of the pubs in Edinburgh. We couldn't get in... at 3:15PM!

Luckily enough, there was a huge party in our hotel and we could go there. So, last quick look at the castle by night...




Ah, beautiful...!

And off to a party. I didn't take any pictures (too crowded, too busy, too much beer all around - literally), but to give you some idea how wild it was, I took those 2 pics.




Before...


...And after...

So, that was it. We jumped on the train to London around 2pm and 4.5 hours later I was back home. Kylie (a friend from New Zealand) took us to Cargo - a hip-hop club in the East End on Saturday, so for the first time in my life (hehe, seriously!) I attended a hip-hop concert. It was pretty cool, I have to admit. A bit too loud for me, really knackered after the trip to Scotland plus I am not the biggest fan of this kind of music, but it was quite ok. The band is called One Self, I've never heard about them and I seemed to be the only one who didn't know them. What a surprise...




"...clench your fist!!!" (or something like that)


Promoting One Self's new album...

Anyway, on Sunday I just walked around London, as it was very sunny and much warmer, and I actually took a very nice picture of National Gallery.




Much nicer than the one I took a few weeks ago...

So, this is it. Scotland is absolutely beautiful and I need to go there again, to see the Highlands and all other castles and old stuff. I'll wait till it gets warmer though. Next weekend (well, this weekend) I am probably going to see Windsor again (after almost 10 years!), so stay tuned. Oh, and in two weeks, if everything goes as planned, we're going to Paris! (my first time in France!).

Other than exploring England and Scotland, I am working like hell. It's the end of the quarter and everyone gets a little nervous. Things look good though, I think I have finally managed to find a good balance between work and pleasure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home